Yesterday our family was privileged to attend the firefighter badge pinning ceremony for our oldest son Sam, who has been a rookie in training for over 7 months.
There were actually two firemen taken in during the same evening. When our family arrived, one firefighter had to open the door of the fire house and drive the ambulance out so that there would be room for everyone and all the chairs! :)
Sam was asked to stand over by a table.

Lieutenant Ornez swore him in.
We had discussed ahead of time a little about swearing and how to obey Christ Who plainly said, "Swear not at all." Did He mean we may not use the word "swear" when a promise needs to be made in ceremonies? Or was He just meaning not to add swearing to our promises to show that we mean it to be the truth, because we cannot be trusted otherwise to be honest?
Christ wants His followers to be totally trustworthy and honest, and to speak the truth simply because it is the right thing to do and not because we have sworn an oath.
Sam would make up his own mind. I was touched when he chose to use "affirm" rather than "swear."
His promise went something like this:
"I, Samuel Lucas, do solemnly affirm to do my duty as a Firefighter for the Peyton Fire Protection District to the best of my ability; to serve my commanding officers with respect and dignity; to serve the citizens of the Peyton Fire District with compassion, courage and integrity; ...so help me God."
We were proud of our straight, tall son, and his clear voice and words.
Then he went to get the brand new black uniformed shirt that he had purchased the day before for the pinning ceremony.
The lieutenant offered for one of us parents to do the pinning of the badge, and I asked Jonathan to do it.
The shirt fabric was really stiff and thick, and it was hard to get that pin on!
Then it was hand-shaking and hugging and chest-bumping time.
Part of the line of firefighters that congratulated Sam.
Then it was the second guy's turn.
While we were waiting for the second guy to get on his new shirt, I got this picture of Sam's badge on his handsome, new shirt.
He's a full-fledged fireman now!
The second fireman gets his badge pinned on as well.
And then the families get photographed with the new firemen!
It's hard to believe that tall, handsome young fireman is our son!
Around the day that Sam had told us he was going to get his badge this week, I read this verse in my devotions:
"Moses and Aaron were among His priests,
and Samuel was among those who called upon His name."
I remember dedicating my second-born child to the Lord just after discovering I was expecting him.
I remember naming him Samuel, meaning "asked of God," having asked for a son.
And I remember giving him to God as a baby.
Always--I would pray that he would just do God's will, whatever that was.
I had dreamed of him being a preacher or missionary, a worker in God's kingdom. I assumed he would go to Bible College.
And then all the dreams came crashing down around my head, and something special came up in their place.
Sam chose to become a fireman!
So Lord, as I place a congratulations card and gift on Sam's pillow,
this mother heart prays for Your protection on my son and on those he helps in crisis.
"The pots in the Lord's house shall be like the bowls before the altar." v. 20
I felt like the Lord was letting me know that we can't all be golden bowls of incense or ministers before the altar of the Lord. We can't all be preachers and pastors and ministers and chaplains and missionaries and Bible teachers and presidents and bigwigs or important people.
"Moses and Aaron were among His priests,
and Samuel was among those who called upon His name."
I remember dedicating my second-born child to the Lord just after discovering I was expecting him.
I remember naming him Samuel, meaning "asked of God," having asked for a son.
And I remember giving him to God as a baby.
Always--I would pray that he would just do God's will, whatever that was.
I had dreamed of him being a preacher or missionary, a worker in God's kingdom. I assumed he would go to Bible College.
And then all the dreams came crashing down around my head, and something special came up in their place.
Sam chose to become a fireman!
So Lord, as I place a congratulations card and gift on Sam's pillow,
this mother heart prays for Your protection on my son and on those he helps in crisis.
It's not nearly as important what we become in life
as that we do our best with whatever we become.
I read this morning in my devotions in Zechariah 14:20, "Every pot in Jerusalem and Judah shall be holiness to the Lord of hosts.""The pots in the Lord's house shall be like the bowls before the altar." v. 20
Some of us are just plain old pots!!!!!!
Some of us are just plain old pots of soup or pumpkin!
A minister is a worthy calling, but an ordinary family man, an office
worker, construction worker, carpenter, plumber, postal worker,
firefighter, you name it--these are all worthy callings
if they can be labeled "Holiness unto the Lord."
When every ordinary task of life is surrendered to the Lord's calling, He makes it worthy.

So, Lord, I try not to focus on the fact that Sam is heading into an occupation that has the potential of great danger in the world that we are living in. As long as He is in Your hand, He is safe,
so this mother heart gladly places him there.











Best wishes to Fireman Sam! What a wonderful place for a Christian young man to minister to others!
ReplyDeleteThe Sarvers