I'm at it again--finding ways to use or put away the bushels of apples the children picked a couple weeks ago. (Well, that's been a few weeks ago by now.)
Some of the best apples are stored in the basement, but the ones with bad
spots, squirrel bites, or bruises I have been cutting up little by
little. .
I layer them on the plastic racks of my dehydrator and dry them overnight or all day long, hoping they'll come out as yummy as the apple snitz made by our old friends the Guenthers, an old order Mennonite family who made friends with our family way back in the Dark Ages when I was about 12 years old.
That wonderful family (with whom we still keep in touch by hand-written letters) shared bags of apple snitz with us, dried in their ovens, and those were such delectable treats to a family of eight children at that time, who didn't have many treats.
I do have to keep an eye on the snitz I make here, though, because Danny likes them too much.
I also slice or dice apples to freeze, bag after bag in our freezer, for future apple crisps and apple cakes.
Unsprayed apples are one of the healthiest things I can feed my family and myself
So are jalapenos, I suppose. My brother Fain who arrived yesterday from Missouri for a few days, brought a whole slew of these hot delectables from his garden.
He made his own recipe of cheese-stuffed jalapenos for the evening meal after evening church at Mission tonight...
while his wife Regina and I started a puzzle that my brother Hoshea had in that sunshine basket.
Regina enjoys puzzles on a Sunday afternoon, and Hannah and I joined her.
I'm not a puzzle person, but I don't mind finding a few pieces, especially if it means spending meaningful time with a sister-in-law whom I first met in Honduras 32 years ago when Fain was starting to be sweet on her.
But I better close this post while it focuses on mere apples, jalapenos, and puzzles--
before I start into another love story.
No comments:
Post a Comment