Monday, February 17, 2025

Mustard Seed on the Windowsill

If you were to go into my bedroom today, you might see something a little strange on the window sill. 
Or you might not see it at all, because it is so tiny that you might not even notice.
It happened Sunday night. An SIM visitor, Drew Rehfeldt, had shared a message Sunday evening about faith, and we had sung "Faith in God can move a mighty mountain."
And when I arrived home, I was thinking about what Jesus had said about the kind of faith that can move mountains.
He had said that if His disciples had faith, they could tell a mountain to move and be thrown into the sea, and it would be done. 
And how much faith? "A mustard seed," Jesus said, the kind that goes not forth except by prayer and fasting.
As I was pondering these things Sunday night, I went to my kitchen cupboard and pulled out my little spice jar of mustard seed. There were an awful lot of mustard seeds in that jar. Each one is incredibly small.
Usually I use mustard seed as a spice for pickes and relish, or we use ground mustard for stir fry or for chest poultices when Jonathan's lungs are filling up with phlegm from illness. 
Sunday night, I had another use for the mustard seed.
A situation that is needing a miracle was weighing on my mind (actually more than one situation) and I had something I wanted to say to  God.
Say?
I wasn't sure I had anything to say in words.
That's why I brought in my mustard seed.
I thought, "I don't even know if I have any faith right now, but, " I said to God, "I am placing this mustard seed before You." 

And I just set it there on the windowsill on my written prayer request that is sitting there day and night before my God.
I set a second mustard seed on the second prayer request.

And I just stood there before God.
What does God do with someone with no faith, just a mustard seed on the window sill?
I don't know.
I just know that about the time I was pondering about faith and placing a mustard seed on the window sill, something was happening in one of the situations I was bringing before God. A message came to my phone, and later I would learn of a special miracle.
It wasn't the mustard seed.
It wasn't my faith.
It was God.
Meanwhile, during the next morning when I kept turning to prayer, I brought the whole jar of mustard seeds and set it on the Bible on the window sill.
And there we were--me not sure I have any faith at all, but also a whole jar of mustard seed waiting before God.
Because based on God's Word, faith the size of a single mere mustard seed can move a mountain into the sea.
I'm getting ready for a huge splash!

1 comment:

  1. My dear friend, I pray God moves AT LEAST one mountain 🏔️ for every mustard seed in your jar! 🙏 Much love, many prayers! 🥰

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...