Friday, February 21, 2025

Post-chemo Supper at Jalapeno Grill

Yesterday I had my final chemo at Rapid City. Usually we stay at a friend's overnight before getting an injection next morning to stimulate white blood cells, but the lady of the house had influenza. So Jonathan found a hotel room on Priceline for just $55. But there was no stove or microwave, and I had been too exhausted the day before to figure out meals.  
 
We decided together to go somewhere for a hot meal as long as we could ask for a corner away from people since I'd just had chemo. 
To complicate matters, (or make things more interesting depending how you look at it) we had to travel 50 minutes away to Hot Springs to swap vehicles with Crystal who needed our van for picking up Amish ladies in Hot Springs. 

We had the van with a trailer because Jonathan had just picked up a trailer full of appliances from Lowes for Building Hope Enterprise. So we met Crystal where she took the van and trailer and went to pick up Amish ladies while Jonathan and I drove straight into the setting sun to find Jalapeno Grill restaurant. 
It was a Mexican restaurant, and the name intrigued us since Jonathan loves jalapenos. The menu options online looked like I could find something un-spicy, and so we found the place. 
 
There it sat with the cutest jalapeno yard decor. Inside was just as charming, with wagon wheel lights. 
There were less charming things as well, but no matter where we go, we have to put up with something. 
I got a small plate of a cheese and mushroom enchilada with rice and beans, and Jonathan had some sort of shrimp and bacon dish.  
The hot supper in such a charming place really hit the spot. I could tell that both of us were enjoying ourselves very much. It is a very good habit to follow my chemo treatments with something enjoyable--on purpose. 
There's often a risk to take, but we learn to make the best of things and enjoy the moments and the charm along the way.  
I left this Scripture card with our tip. Looked at one way it reads, "The wages of sin is DEATH," but you turn it upside down and it reads, "But the gift of God is eternal LIFE." The very same decorative print spells both words, Life and Death, depending how you turn the card.
Each of us has the choice to determine whether our destiny is Life--
or Death.
Every choice leads one direction or another. 
 Likewise, our decisions result in whether we will be happy or grumpy, bored or fulfilled.  
Will we truly live each day, or will each day be one step more toward a lifetime of dying, grieving, and regret?
I could have arranged my chemo day to be a great day to complain and grudge and worry.
Instead, we took advantage of some complications along the way to visit a new place and enjoy a wonderful meal in a fascinating venue--leaving behind a piece of the Word of God in print. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...