God blessed us with a beautiful weather on Saturday, Sam's wedding day. That morning, I almost turned to a different place in my Bible reading than Proverbs where I had been reading, thinking maybe another place would be better to read on the morning of my son's wedding.
Instead, I went ahead reading in Proverbs 19, and what should meet my surprised eyes than verse 14, "Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord."
I looked and looked at that verse. I had been spending weeks and week reading Proverbs, and how did that verse end up, unbeknownst to me, on the day of Sam's wedding? It was such a blessing to me.
I believe God gave Sam a prudent wife, a wife who is respectful, kind, and wise. I believe she will be a good wife to him.
I pray he will be a good husband to her.
Weddings are times of a bit of anxiety to moms, when we wonder, did I raise him well? How will the discrepancies in my rearing of him turn out in their marriage?
What about all my blind spots and my failures and mistakes?
I stand there turning everything over to our wonderful Lord, into Whose hands I must place my son, age 27 now.
There has been teasing that after the wedding, we moms are now done raising our boys.
Now it's his wife's job to finish the job!
Signing their names after the wedding ceremony on the wedding license was both a joyful and sobering time. I noticed best man Tim, our middle son, standing soberly watching the two signing their names, waiting his turn to sign as witness.
The two had just signed their names after the church ceremony, and now the covenant had been signed to on paper.
Till death do us part.
Not till things get hard or rough or suddenly surprises come up.
Not just till he or she stops pleasing me or we discover things we disagree about.
Not only as long as we agree on everything.
But till death us do part.
Oh my Father in heaven, keep my son and his new wife loving each other so long as they both shall live, I pray. Make them an example of a godly home where You are loved the dearest.
Hannah played the first Celtic piece of the prelude, then Crystal played the rest of the prelude before Carrie took over the piano for the entrances of the grandparents, parents, pastor and groom, groomsmen, bridesmaids, flower girl, Bible-bearer, and bride.
"I've never seen the Bible ceremony before," the pastor said. He was so deeply moved by it during the first part of the ceremony, that one of my family thought that he was about to break down in tears.
"Sam, upon what do you wish your marriage to be established?" the pastor asked.
And Sam reached for the Bible from Levi Morley.
"The Bible," he said.
The Word of God.
And later the pastor talked about what it meant to say that.
That it wasn't to just be words, but that Sam and Caitlyn must actually live it out in daily life, practicing prayer and Bible study in their daily lives.
Actually obeying the Bible, not just having it handed to the pastor in a formal ceremony.
Sam's Grandpa Lucas and Grammy Ruth
The whole clan who were present on Sam's side of the family, including both the Lucas and Morley sides. I do not have the "giant" photo (as the photographer called it) of both the Kelly and Lucas extended clan all together. But the combined extended families made up about half the guests.
No comments:
Post a Comment