Thursday, April 16, 2026

Like the Women Who Watched from Afar

Like the women who watched what was happening with Jesus from afar, we in our household (men included at times) watched many of the services, pre-services, post-services, and in-between services at the Interchurch Holiness Convention where several of my nieces, nephews, friends, and even a sister's family were in attendance or in the various Bible College choirs represented there. 

The fact that my sister Joella's family traveled over to Gatlinburg, TN, convention center to spend time with two of their oldest children who were in the Penn View choir and PR groups may or may not have sparked my interest in watching as much as possible--to say nothing of my niece Krissy Miller, Iva's daughter, being in the God's Bible School choir. And we'd spot a good many other young people that we knew or recognized as well. 
It was fantastic when the camera zoomed in on the violinists of the Penn View orchestra more than once, and we were able to snap this photo of my niece, first violinist Charity Bradford. 
I guess I should have taken notes, because I'd love to share the speakers and musicians I especially enjoyed. 
I think the message of Andrew Stroud Tuesday evening was my favorite, hands down, as far as being a superb, high quality message about holiness, accompanied by some of the most captivating illustrations and stories I've ever heard in my life. 
Another favorite speaker was Lyndel Howard from (originally South Dakota) now Missouri, who had the Thursday morning Bible Study. His humility, tenderness, and gentleness while broaching the subject of the beauty of holiness, touched my heart greatly. I knew he had lived what he talked about, as we know him personally and some of the heartaches he's been through, to say nothing of the years he has spent caring first for a very aged father (who died at age 103) and then for his wife.
Among my favorite singers were the men's group from Papua New Guinea--just beautiful. 
The music was simple, profound, and heartfelt, and truly inspiring.  

Wednesday we watched as I made an extra big batch of bread. I got in on the end of Eric Kuhns' address about reaching out to the lost around us, and asking if the big fancy dramas churches and Bible Colleges put on that cost tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours have seen many if any conversions as a result? He said he wasn't saying to stop doing any dramas, but to ask where we should be prioritizing our time and money. He named one simple way after another for a person to actually go and reach out to people right around us! 
Little did I know that one of those loaves of bread I made would be going that very evening to a dear native lady who had fled to my friend Lila's home for refuge since the lady's mother had died and her sister was drinking and violent. God gave me the opportunity to share my bread and pray with this precious lady--to put my arm around her, to ask about her mother, and to just love her. Crystal had accompanied me up to Swift Bear Community where she was for the night, for I have been warned not to go there alone after dark. 
Watching service after service at a huge convention center complete with screens and cameras and offerings of over a quarter million dollars for the cost of the convention seemed overwhelming to me. 
I felt more at home baking bread in my own kitchen and then sharing it with a lady needing refuge--and Jesus' love. 
I am not a perfect missionary, but I just pray, oh dear Jesus, as we share our bread with the hungry and needy of soul around us, do what we cannot do, and transform lives around us!
I couldn't travel across the country to attend a convention, but I could go up to the care center yesterday with a wee jar of pansies and purple pericallis from our potted plants to share with Bonnie--who wasn't there. I ended up giving it to her roommate who spends her time asking me for clothing articles and yesterday asking also for a pink bunny! 
No conversions to brag about!
No, I don't feel as effective after a visit like that as the Papua New Guinea men at IHC who, in PNG, are out preaching on the streets and leading to people to Christ on the streets. 
I just say, "I wish!" 
But who knows?
If we would get out on the streets, who knows? 
This lady who died, she was on the street recently, our pastor's wife told me, in a wheel chair, 
drinking. 
I did not get to preach to her and lead her to Christ before she died, but I could reach out to her daughter
with my loaf of bread and my little heartfelt prayer with my arm around her. 
Oh, Jesus, Who took the loaves and fish and fed the multitude, take our small loaves and multiply the love they are given with until it is felt and responded to in the hearts of those around us!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Driveway Delights--Larks and Owls

 The ability to delight in something is a gift from the Lord. There have been valleys in my life where I could not find the ability to delig...