You would think along the highway of life a person would get used to some difficult things that happen over and over,
and they would not be so difficult anymore.

This can be true and not true all at the same time, which is a perfect conundrum.
Yesterday I had decided that I would like a little outing as I was getting a bit of cabin fever with being down with chemo side effects, and I thought I might go along either with Crystal who had an appointment in Pierre or with Jonathan who had to go to Pierre for a load of materials. I hoped we could take a walk at the lake by the capitol building, and I also said I was hankering for Arbys fries which I know doesn't fit in my cancer protocol, but I am allowing myself a few exceptions especially after chemo.
This was kind of big for me--especially the Arbys fries, but mostly the walk by the lake at the capitol. I'd been hankering for that a long time, too. I wanted to see the artesian fountain that used to be called the Flaming Fountain because of a natural gas pipe there that used to have a flame that was lit for decades without going out.

It ended up that Jonathan and I decided we'd go together and, granted, I'd have to put up with hours of travel and waiting at Menards just for Arbys fries and a little time walking around a lake, but it would be time together, hopefully, and we'd stop somewhere to eat lunch too. (That is the part Jonathan looks forward to most.)
But first.
Always there is the "but first." First Jonathan had paperwork. Then he had to go out to a ranch ten miles away to replace a propane wall heater. It was supposed to take around 45 minutes. Then we were supposed to head off to Pierre and lunch together.

Well, hours crept by and the hands on the clock moved well past noon. I kept checking my phone unsuccessfully for texts while working on projects of my own and wearing out more and more. Waiting till afternoon to leave on an outing was going to make it difficult to enjoy time away since I become very fatigued by afternoon. Also it meant I had to pull leftovers out of the fridge and eat my lunch all by myself because I needed something to eat so I wouldn't be so weak (or nauseous).
Besides, at the rate we've been having vehicle breakdowns or flat tires, I was also wondering if we'd even make it to Pierre. Who knows?
And oh!!! Who knew!!!!
But we did not know.
Blissfully ignorant, and less than blissfully bothered, I went to the mudroom to put on old shoes and take the egg basket to gather eggs I'd missed gathering the day before.

I had really hoped to leave long ago for Pierre before I wore out totally and in time to eat lunch together up there.
I had hoped that maybe just this once we could have a plan for a date together and it would work out, and I wouldn't have to spend ten or twelve hours traveling and sitting in a vehicle just to have half an hour walk around a lake.
I knew the chemo was making my emotions more raw than usual.
Finally a text came that Jonathan would soon be on his way home, and finally about 1:15 we were on our way to Pierre, a bowl of heated up left-over enchilada in Jonathan's lap and him explaining that not only had he replaced the rancher's wall heater but had to help Danny with the water filter issues in the well, and then the rancher wanted to talk about more projects for my guys to fix or build for him.
Also out there it's hard to get even a text message through because of poor signal.
All while I waited, I thought later, like Mrs. Turtle on a rock in the Capitol Lake!! :):)
But now the waiting was over, and though it was hours later than planned, we were on our way--despite all the things outside of our control.
We first went out of our way to check out an area near Oahe Dam where bald eagles are supposed to nest and roost, but we didn't see a single eagle. Then we headed to Menards and I went to Walmart nearby and checked clothing markdowns and came back and waited longer for Jonathan. Then we had to stop at Runnings for coffee for Jonathan and a Chinese Buffet to check prices for another time and finally, finally, about 5 o'clock we found that Arbys was having a $7.99 deal with a sandwich, small fries, and two other sides plus drink.
We were both too hungry to wait to get to the Capitol grounds to eat and we thanked God for our food and started into it like hungry pigs. We sat in the van licking our lips and I ate Arbys fries for maybe only the second or third time in years. I just kept saying yum yum.
I would have liked to have seen more geese and ducks at the lake, but for some reason, none were in sight when we arrived. Just a lone gull swooped around as if waiting for the stopped van to produce people who might throw crumbs.
When we were done with our wonderfully delicious little meal, we strolled to the fountain which ended up surrounded by caution tape because of construction work, so that was a bit of a disappointment.
But here was the "Flaming Fountain" that Jonathan told about in a recent message at church titled, "Are You a Fountain or a Drain?"
We also spent time tossing a few crumbs to the few geese and ducks that did finally show up, and for a few minutes, we just enjoyed the unbelievably quiet peace there at our state capitol grounds. Probably one of the most peaceful capitol grounds in the nation, but that is just my opinion. It was a small, very small break from the normal routines of our days.
Then we started off toward home, long boards piled between Jonathan and me over the tops of the seats of the van, and maybe half a ton of flooring for Monday's job in White River weighing down the back of the van.
The van--which, fifteen miles from Pierre, suddenly began to lose power. Jonathan coaxed it along as we crawled halfway on the highway and halfway on the shoulder.
Then it started squealing. We had never had a vehicle sound and act quite like this. To make a long story short, after a short time, the van completely gave up the ghost and we were left on the side of the road beside these cows and calves calling State Farm for a tow.
Thankfully someone was able to come right away from Ft. Pierre, and our van ended up on a flatbed trailer with Jonathan and me in the cab of the big pickup with the driver heading for the nearest mechanic shop in Ft. Pierre.
Crystal came to fetch us from home, and we unloaded as much as we could from the van into the Honda, including the half ton of flooring.
And we did, finally, make it home about 10:15 in the evening.
Somehow in the middle of everything, I got my walk by a peaceful lake and a small Arbys fries.
And we counted our blessings that the weather was not too hot or too cold.
It was just right for sitting in a dead van by the highway by a cattle ranch.
And we still had another vehicle at home to come rescue us.
And even though our plans went to pot all over again,
we knew God was watching over us.
And already today, much to my amazement, somebody up town handed me an envelope saying it was for the van--and God has already started providing for either the van's repair or related expenses. Depending if the mechanic on Monday thinks the engine is shot, we may junk the van.
It has 280,000 miles on it, and maybe it is time for it to retire.
But we don't know.
Monday will be an interesting day--even if it doesn't go according to plan!
x
No comments:
Post a Comment