The day before Father's Day turned out better than I expected.
Friday and Saturday Hannah and her friend took the Hunters Education Course in town, and I joined them because I didn't want my youngest daughter in town alone all day, and also I thought, "Who knows? Maybe someday in the future I will want to hunt (kind of far fetched, but who knows?), and for just $10 I can take this course with Hannah."
So I did.

Hannah did much better than I.
All her shots hit inside the circles on the target, and two of her shots hit the bulls eye!
Her instructors were so impressed, they kept asking her questions about where she had learned to shoot so well. They said statistically women are better aims than men!
Her instructors were so impressed, they kept asking her questions about where she had learned to shoot so well. They said statistically women are better aims than men!
They called her Annie Oakley!
We were in classes several hours Friday night and most of the day Saturday at a new sportsman's business in town called Scheels, which is like Bass Pro. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of people were in there. They had statues of our founding fathers and famous presidents out front.
It was so refreshing to go into somewhere that felt normal and conservative and healthy and even God-honoring.
At the end of the course, I was afraid I missed several questions. But the instructor scanned my test and wrote a percent on it, and looked at me and kind of shook his head, looking at me with that same kind of look that Prof McIntire used to give me when I "went through the ceiling," as he called it, scoring up to 110% on his tests, because Prof McIntire at Penn View would give extra questions for extra credit since many students struggled with his tests. He would give us handouts telling us exactly what to study, and I could never figure out how people could do poorly, but then I could memorize better than I could come up with essays for other teachers' tests.
We were in classes several hours Friday night and most of the day Saturday at a new sportsman's business in town called Scheels, which is like Bass Pro. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of people were in there. They had statues of our founding fathers and famous presidents out front.
It was so refreshing to go into somewhere that felt normal and conservative and healthy and even God-honoring.
At the end of the course, I was afraid I missed several questions. But the instructor scanned my test and wrote a percent on it, and looked at me and kind of shook his head, looking at me with that same kind of look that Prof McIntire used to give me when I "went through the ceiling," as he called it, scoring up to 110% on his tests, because Prof McIntire at Penn View would give extra questions for extra credit since many students struggled with his tests. He would give us handouts telling us exactly what to study, and I could never figure out how people could do poorly, but then I could memorize better than I could come up with essays for other teachers' tests.
Well, today again I couldn't believe I had made 100%!
While I was doing the test, it had been so long since I was in classes like that and taking tests, that it was bringing back lots of memories of college days.
It was also reminding me of how grateful I am that my mom taught me phonics so I could read that test well today; and how Dad insisted that I take a speed reading course before going to college, so I could read the question at a glance.
I also thought later how Mom and Dad expected excellence from us in our academics, education, and speech, and how they insisted that we memorize Scriptures and poems.
And how Dad would tell us to never leave a question unanswered on a test, but to at least make our best guess.
That stood me in good stead today--I made my best guess on more than one question!
All of that came back to bless me today--the day before Father's Day.
Thanks, Dad!




You have your dad and mom to thank for a whole lot of things. Your family has a reputation, I think, for doing everything 100%. Enjoyed reading your post.
ReplyDelete