Sunday, June 27, 2021

"The Best Revenge"--To Live a Joyful, Godly, Productive Life

The best revenge, I read one time, is to live well. 
I think this or a similar quote was in one of Dr. Laura Schlessinger's books, and I thought about it again this morning when I was overwhelmed, as I am every once in a while, with memories and thoughts about a situation that still causes me pain every time I think about it. 
(which is why generally it is a good idea to just stop thinking about it). 
It was so full of pain that we had to leave it far behind--and we had to learn to stop carrying the pain of it with us.
Even when others choose to continue acting in ways that cause pain to us, we have a choice,
like the hands above.
Do we hang onto our toads of pain, bondage, unforgiveness, resentment, and revenge,
or do we seek to overcome by letting go of our toads and keeping our hands open to the opportunities, joys, and fullness of life that God intended for us to have?  
I reminded myself that I have found ways to overcome, and one of those ways is to lay aside those hurts and memories and go on living joyfully, godly, and productively.
When Hannah's young friend was here for a day, I enjoyed watching them having fun together and helping together with pulling mint and rhubarb, and then washing and cutting and freezing that rhubarb that is still bearing.
When Crystal passed her tests after her week of ACE supervisor training last week and texted me this picture, I was filled with joy.
Despite problems we have faced, God hasn't allowed our lives to be fruitless and barren. He is helping our children (my most important priority) to make right choices and to live in joy and peace. This week Sam was the only one on call sometimes at the fire station since the chief and assistant chief were both gone. He was the one on duty when different medical calls came in. He was the one checking blood sugar of someone basically unconscious, administering the first aid glucose (whatever you call it, he says it is like toothpaste, really yucky!) and calling in AMT backup. This morning while the rest of us were gone to church, he was on another call, with similar responsibilities, arriving to church quite late, but having helped to save a life in simple ways.
Last week, cousins arrived from Missouri on Thursday, in time for supper. They rotated the tires on our van in preparation for them and Carrie and Rose driving it down to Mexico (right through Albuquerque where Crystal was busy on her last day of training) to help out on a mission with a Vacation Bible School. 
I watched as they had a little time that evening to ride the horse while switching belongings from their minivan to our larger van.
 
 The best revenge is to live joyfully. 

The best revenge is to have none.

To let God retain the right to vengeance and to justice.
To remember that apart from His grace, all I myself would deserve would be eternal vengeance.
And that if I would desire to obtain mercy in the last day,
I must also show mercy to others.
  Rather than plot my vengeance and live with bitterness oozing from my life,
I choose to live with gratitude, forgiveness, joy, and love.
And then God Himself fills up my life with a fullness I could only imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...