Tuesday, June 22, 2021

How a King James English Bible Background Helped Me on a Hunters Ed Test

I am not a KJV only person, but when I think of Scripture coming to my mind,
it always comes to me in the King James Version
because that is what I memorized when I was young.
While standing in line waiting for the instructor to scan my hunters ed test Saturday,
I noticed how many people had missed one certain question.
There was a picture of ducks, and then there was a multiple choice question as to what the picture showed.
(This is not a picture of ducks, by the way. It is a picture of a mushroom that Hannah found growing out in the pasture on some old hay. She brought it in, and we looked it up in our mushroom books, let it sit on a white paper overnight to get a spore print, and then sauteed and ate it. Yummy!)
But back to the question on the test. 
Among the four choices were answers like 1) a small mammal, 2) waterfowl, 3) something else, and 4) something else. 
Well, thanks to my reading of the KJV Bible, I knew right away that those ducks were waterfowl.
But at least three people, including someone old enough to know better, had no idea. While going over the questions missed, the instructor had to keep giving the clue, "Where do ducks live?"
Answer, "In the water."
So???? 
One boy still answered that the ducks were mammals (sort of like the mammals that were tussling in our livingroom the other day). But then, he was pretty young and may not have had sixth grade science yet, to learn what mammals are versus fowls. 
 
I just found it interesting that, due to reading and hearing King James English in my youth, 
I knew without any problem, and without thinking about what my science book had taught me, that ducks were water fowl.
Now if the following question were on the test, how would you answer?
What is in the jar pictured above?
1) Barley green juice
2) Fresh peppermint sunshine tea from the Lucases' mint patch
3) Lambs quarter infusion
4) Green algae from the Lucases' pond for waterfowl 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...