Friday, December 27, 2024

Christmas Eve--and a Young Child's Awe

Christmas Eve day arrived, and with it Tim and Carrie and her two happy dogs whose whole bodies wag whenever they wag their tails! 
Danny wasn't too happy about two more dogs in his way, but he didn't mind the fresh whirly donuts Carrie made for supper. And we had a chicken chowder on the menu, but time got away from us,(and so did energy) and we just made some simple Open-face Turkey sandwiches grilled in the oven since there would be more treats after Christmas Eve service.

Christmas Sunday and Christmas Eve both, Crystal played beautiful arrangements on the piano. 

Hannah was asked to light the candles.

She also played a Christmas song, "There's a Song in the Air."
 
I sang a Rosetti Christmas medley of "In the Bleak Midwinter" and "Love Came Down at Christmas," both written by Christina Rosetti, two of my favorite Christmas songs.
Carrie and Crystal did an arrangement of "O Holy Night."
It wasn't until later that night that someone told me about the little boy whose family was visiting in the Christmas Eve service that night.
He had been mesmerized by the girls playing "O Holy Night." 
He said to his mom, "I think I'm going to cry because the music is so beautiful." 
He was maybe six years old.
When I heard that, it was I who almost cried!
This was a little boy who struggles with allergies to nearly every food imaginable, and who we'd never seen in church before, from a distance away. But his family had decided to attend our service that night here in White River--
and his little heart had been deeply touched with something that he was not allergic to--
beautiful music. 
As we filed up one by one to light our candle as we sang "Silent Night," we were just a small and humble group of worshipers, 
including a little boy and his sister, surrounded by beautiful music and touched once again by the purpose for which Jesus came. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...