Last Sunday morning found us at the White River Nazarene Church where the pastor had asked Jonathan if he would fill in for her while she was away. I was impressed with the unique Christmas display in the corner of the platform.
(I thought to myself that I much preferred this Christ-centered theme rather than a tree!)
During the music time, one of the hymns sung was "Deeper, Deeper."
Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.
Oh, deeper yet, I pray,
And higher ev'ry day,
And wiser, blessed Lord,
In Thy precious, holy word.
The words had been written, I discovered when I did a search online, by a Charles Price Jones, a black Baptist preacher from Georgia, the same state where former President Jimmy Carter just died today at the age of 100. Both Baptist men, but very different stripes! Charles Jones deeply sought God and preached holiness of heart and life, founding a holiness church. He wrote about 1000 hymns! (See https://hymnary.org/person/Jones_CharlesPrice)
Take me deeper still,
Till my life is wholly lost in Jesus,
And His perfect will.
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow."
So I focus on other people, other cheerful things, and words like these:
Deeper, higher, ev'ry day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu’ror, and in His own image
As we enter a new year, may our desire be to go deeper in the love of Jesus! I am tired now, and I know that simple statement isn't all that eloquent, but since my feet in bed were hot (sometimes they are cold, but neuropathy from chemo does weird things to me) I decided to get up to cool off and write these little thoughts.
Whatever hard trials You ask us to go through, Lord, we know You will give abundant grace!
No comments:
Post a Comment