Friday, December 13, 2024

When the Call Drops--Again!

When we lost the second call to Dakota Imaging while driving across I-90 home from Rapid City last week, it was very frustrating. 

You know the routine. You call a medical provider's number. First you listen to any number of options and choose one. Maybe or maybe not you'll get conencted then to a real person. The purpose of my call was to ask if the nearly $1,200 bill for a chest CT scan could be discounted due to our being self-pay rather than having insurance. Each time, I got a different person answering (sounding like maybe they worked from another country and had learned English as a second language).  Both times the speaker put me on hold while they went to check on what the discount might be for a self-pay patient.


And then the call would drop. After it happened twice I gave up calling the billing number. Instead, Jonathan decided to call straight through to Dakota Imaging. Perhaps by chance someone at that number would be able to help us.

A real person answered. Within a minute or two, in fact, after Jonathan explained our bill and our self-pay situation and how some providers will give us a steep discount for self-pay, she said she would only charge us the "Medicaid rate."

Jonathan didn't bother asking what that meant, assuming it was a decent discount. She said to wait for a new bill.  

And we looked at each other in amazement. Had God allowed those dropped calls for a reason?

This week I received my new bill. 
To my amazement, the lady had snipped the bill down by about 75%.

Had the first two calls not dropped, I don't know what sort of bill we would still be staring at, but thanks to God making two calls drop along Highway 90, we now have a bill that we are better able to pay. 
More and more, I am learning to make the best of things that seem to go wrong.
There may be a really good reason for it.
God may be orchestrating something so much better for us than we hoped.

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord! He has your whole situation in His loving control, even though we humans can't see the future.

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...