Friday, December 6, 2024

Immanuel--In a Hospital Restroom

God meets us sometimes in the most unlikely places--such as a hospital restroom and through unlikely things--such as a Christmas hat!
Yesterday as I was washing my hands in the restroom at Monument Cancer Care, I greeted the lady next to me who was also at the sink. She asked me how my morning was going, and I said actually a little better than it was earlier (I didn't say anything about how I had been feeling like passing out about the mounting bills and decisions at the doctor visit before treatment, and how we were going to pay for the chemos today). I remarked about how fun it had been to choose this hat from the free hat rack--because it was cheerful!
"Like you!" she smiled, to which I replied that we can have cheer even in our dark times because of God!

She looked at me suddenly, as a flash of understanding passed between us--a woman of faith finding another woman of faith--in the hospital restroom!
"I don't know how people get through life without God!" she said. 
"Me either!" I added, tossing my damp and crumpled paper towel into the trash. Then I said the first thing that popped into my head.
"Immanuel!" I breathed with conviction. "God with us!"
Right there today, in the hospital restroom, with mounting bills and days and weeks of chemo misery ahead. Immanuel was with us!
As I went out the door, I turned just a little and saw the lady--an awe-struck look on her face--pausing to watch me leave in the red, white, and green Christmas cancer cap, leaving behind the message of eternal cheer--
"Immanuel is with us--even in this cancer hospital!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...