Wednesday, December 18, 2024

Sourdough Bread--Learning to Accept the Bitter

Back in November, my sister-in-law Regina brought me both sourdough bread and sourdough starter.
Last week I finally worked up the courage to try my own hand at making a batch of sourdough bread--
four loaves.

And they turned out fairly nice! I need to add more flour next time, as these loaves were a little too light and crumbly, but for the first time in years I could eat a piece of bread fresh from the oven without immediately blowing up with pain. 

The taste was more sour than my usual bread, and the rising time had taken nearly 24 hours altogether, but there was zero yeast in the breast and my digestive system was able to handle it.  The gluten had been predigested by the sourdough starter working.

Despite its bit of sour taste, like some of the sour things we end up tasting and facing in life, it was good bread!
 The mixture of tough things along with the flour of life builds our character. 
And that takes time.
 Not all hard things go away fast. Just as time is required for the sourdough to work, we must endure trials and difficulties with patience--and hopefully grace, letting patience have her perfect work, that we may be perfect and entire, lacking nothing.
I need more of Your grace, Lord! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...