Monday, May 13, 2024

Mayo Clinic--and His Stripes Heal Us

I prayed for a spot in the Arizona shade--and found one! It was in Row 19, I discovered later that Sunday afternoon, with many other rows much closer to Mayo Clinic where my friend had been transferred. I almost walked back to the car to drive up closer, but I was already partway to the front door. So I moved on in the Arizona heat.
The palo verde trees were abloom with sunshine, and the prickly pear cactus were about to burst into bloom, too. Arizona has a beauty all its own.  I reveled in it Mothers Day Sunday afternoon.
I noticed the names of the streets by the clinic--Hope Drive and Healing Drive. But inside, the corner of the front lobby where there was a "Discharged Patients" sign, I took note of the bed type chairs and other equipment that denoted leaving that place in less-than-healthy ways. 
In my heart I just thanked God that I was still on my feet, even if I had felt so wobbly and weak that I was quite sure I should not have driven to the clinic--but I had anyway.

And I was glad I did. By the time I left nearly two hours later, I was feeling refreshed and stronger. Ministering rejuvenates me. 
Had there also been something to the elements that my friend and I partook of together in remembrance of our Saviour?
The family who had collected in that room had brought combination communion cups so that perhaps the chaplain or by chance some other type of minister could serve my friend communion. 

My friend preferred that I become that minister!
I was willing to partake with my friend. I did not serve it; we just partook together after I quoted the Scriptures. In the absence of a Bible on hand, how thankful I was for the many times I've heard those familiar verses! And we prayed together prayers of thankfulness for His death that bought our salvation and for His stripes by which we are healed.

Those stripes atoned for my weakness that afternoon; I left Mayo clinic stronger than when I came. 
And my friend clung to the meaning of the elements as a means of grace--grace that is greater than our weakness and disease.

1 comment:

  1. Thank ing Jesus for His precious, all-atoning-availing-ministering blood!

    ReplyDelete

Garden Delights--A Cheerful Reality

  Working in the garden and enjoying its harvest is not just an escape from reality--it is, in fact, a cheerful part of the reality of life....