Thursday, May 2, 2024

What My Nurse Remembered as I Prayed

Tuesday I got my second round of herceptin, and something special happened as my IV was being prepared. My nurse today first checked my blood labs to make sure they were okay before mixing the herceptin. Herceptin has to be mixed immediately before infusing it. He came in to tell me where my white blood cell count was in relation to acceptable range, and said he would double check with the docs before mixing the IV and bringing it in. 
While he was out, I thought I ought to pray for him and all the nurses, because they carry heavy responsibilities and have to be mindful of so many things and be accurate about dosages, etc. Anyway, after a while in came my nurse again, waving the bag of herceptin fluid high above his head.
"Herceptin!" he crowed.
"I was praying for you out there," I told him. "I was thinking how you nurses have to be so responsible for us, and have to do everything right!"
"You know," he said quietly as he hung the bag and started punching buttons on the IV pump, "that's interesting that you said that. While I was mixing the herceptin, my brother called me. He said he was struggling. He asked me, 'What is the number of the Psalm you told me about for when we are in trouble?" the nurse paused while I listened. "Psalm 23," he went on softly. "I will fear no evil."
"Oh-h!" I said as the whole scenario unfolded quietly in the IV room.
"The Lord is my Shepherd," Cesar quoted again, his face breaking into a smile like I've seldom seen.
 "That is so sweet!" I said in awe. "The Psalms are so good, and that one especially. I am so glad you told me about that. I don't always pray for the nurses each time, but today I did. I am so glad!"
We both knew without saying that God had both prompted his brother to call, me to pray in those very moments, and Cesar to remember something from God's Word. I told Cesar to tell his brother that I would be praying for him today. He was very grateful.
That was such a special moment today. How gently God is leading Cesar and speaking to his heart as we Christians let our light shine and aren't "ashamed to pray."

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...